Sunday, April 13, 2008

Welcome Home

I have started this entry about four times now and still can't think of a great opener, so I'll just jump straight into it. For the first time in about a year, I was able to take Communion during mass. My parish recently started offering low-gluten hosts and this is great for me since I've developed a wheat allergy.

Since I've gone without the Eucharist my faith life has been slipping. I never realized exactly how important Communion was to me until I had to do without it. It's difficult to describe, but being unable to partake in this one act left an incredible void within me. That changed today, though. Today, I took Communion. Today, I was able to physically take in Christ. Today, I was just like everyone else in the Church. Today, for the first time in over a year, mass felt like home.

So often the little things get overlooked. They're so small and seemingly insignificant that we have to completely get rid of them before we sometimes even notice that they are there. My goal this week is to identify and appreciate the little things. Right now I'm appreciating how good ice cold water tastes as I finish this entry...

No comments: