January 25th, 2010 I started a new job as a customer service agent at a local insurance company. Now having worked there for six months, here is my reflection so far...
I'll start with the bad. I know more than most people who have worked there for five + years. Not too long ago I came across a situation where the customer needed an SR22 sent to the state. If you're not aware of what that is, it's a certificate supplied by your insurance company given directly to the state to verify insurance. If your insurance company does not supply the state with the necessary documentation, you could get your license suspended. Driving on a suspended license can sometimes lead to jail time. This is serious business. Yet, my team lead, as well as other leaders within the department, didn't even know what one was, let alone how to file one.
This shocked me.
Working in insurance every day and not knowing what an SR22 is is the equivalent of being in tech support and not knowing how to save something to your desktop. Not only did I have to teach my superiors what one is, but not even our department heads knew if we filed them electronically or if I had to mail them. I was disappointed that I wasn't given the proper direction and I was disappointed in the lack of knowledge of the people who are supposed to support me.
I am, however, impressed with the care given to the employees to make sure they're happy. Twice so far I've been given tickets to watch our St. Louis Cardinals play. We are constantly given free ice cream since it's gotten so hot and we get free breakfast every so often. There are team building activities where we play games and given MORE food. (= Who doesn't like a funnel cake and and a snow cone in the middle of July?
What impresses me most, though, is their devotion to see each employee succeed and grow. I get an hour every week for personal development. I can sit with a trainer, shadow an underwriter, or even learn claims. I feel like all doors are open within this company and they will help you get to where you want to go. There's only one problem, though.
With so many options it's like standing in a buffet line and not knowing what to put on my plate first.
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment