I am 25 years old and some days I feel it and some days I don't. Today is one of the days where I don't feel 25. In fact, I feel about 8 years old. I woke up to a wonderful sight that could only be described as a Snow Day. Today was one of my usual days off so I didn't have to call in, but just knowing there were inches upon inches of snow made me happy.
As I dusted off my car in preparation for the drive to work tomorrow, I thought back at all the fun times I used to have in the snow when I was younger. My brother and I would try to build igloos or forts, get half way through and give up and retreat inside for a cup of hot chocolate and Mom's grilled cheese sandwiches. In high school when school was called off, my friends and I would meet at the soccer field and play football. Then there were the few times we'd go sledding at the nearby park. Ahh, the memories of the legal white powder.
When I finished digging my car out of the fluffy white stuff, I passed one of the maintenance men who was shoveling the sidewalk and joked with him about me being outside when I could be inside snuggled up with my cat watching the seemingly endless parade of decorating shows that appear on HGTV at that hour. I thanked him for his hard work and went inside to cuddle with the cat. Later on, some Chinese food was calling my name and I was willing to brave some slightly melted snow to get it. The maintenance man had shoveled me a path from the sidewalk all the way to the door of my car.
Random acts of kindness always throw me off guard and remind me of all that I have to be truly grateful for. I wish I knew his name and why he had decided to be so nice to me, but it really doesn't matter. In fact, what truly matters is that I pass that random act on... an act that requires no thank you... an act that will touch the person it is for. I have this opportunity every day to show someone a random act of kindness, yet how often to I take advantage of the opportunity to give someone a reason to smile?
Friday, February 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment